narrative. Using google docs for journal quick writes

 Madeline’s Narrative: Using Google Classroom and Google Docs for Writing Notebooks 
 I grew up in the 70’s when Pong was the game of choice and before computers were readily used in homes. In college, I used computers regularly for my course work. When I graduated college in 1990, I purchased the newest Macintosh LC to begin my graduate studies. It was the first computer I owned.                                                          
In 2002 I left the California sunshine for a different New England experience when my husband took a teaching position at the Naval War College. After acclimating myself to the beautiful New England summers and very cold winters--I worked on getting my California certification reciprocated, took a Praxis test, and took two more courses for a third certification in biology
I also acquired two more dogs and had two more kids along the way to make a very full house of seven.  My two youngest were not only born as native Rhode Islanders, but they were also born as digital natives according to Prensky, and think I am ancient when it comes to understanding technology.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-JcBFAuLc-0Z01KNkdIWjdsNk0/view
DSCF7538.JPG
Yet, despite my digital immigrant status, four years ago I started the first Robotics program at Slater Middle school. As the Robotics coordinator, I learned that Robotics is an awesome way to get kids engaged in digital technology through programming, designing, building, and competing.! As Wesch would concur--by changing your student's’ physical space you can make learning more collaborative--but it was so much more work--and I needed help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP7dbl0rJS0
Fortunately, my former students came back to help me with this ever-growing robotics program and assisted me in launching our district's first mentor program. Kids teaching kids changed my world and reinforced Susan’s Patterson notion that the best way to learn--is to teach. 
I believe that kids are smarter than we think, that they have experiences different than our own, that they love to share what they know, and that they can help us see things in ways we may have never thought of before. As Turkle would defend--when having face to face conversations with others, we converse with ourselves, which ultimately provides us with a learning opportunity for self-reflection.  http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/22/opinion/sunday/the-flight-from-conversation.html?pagewanted=all
As part of the Robotics and Science programs in my district, students are required to keep an engineering notebook to write down daily thoughts, problems, or idea.
s.                20170121_161726.jpg
But students often lose these note books either by taking them home and not bringing them back, or by not putting them back in their classroom bins. This leaves them with nothing to refer to when ready to present their final drafts. So how do we solve this science and engineering notebook dilemma?
For four years now, I have been struggling with how to help my students use their engineering notebooks more efficiently so that their thoughts, ideas, designs and quick writes do not get lost, or misplaced--never to be seen again.

In Robotics, I only have 25-30 engineering notebooks to manage, comment on, and provide feedback for. However, when my district decided to take the same engineering notebook principals and bring them into the science classroom, my job got significantly more challenging as now I have 150 notebooks to keep safe, organized and flowing efficiently.
 
Whether it’s an engineering notebook or a scientific journal for quick writes and lab reflections, students need to tell their story... but how? In the past I, have given students the option to leave a space in their three ring binders for their notebook worksheets, designs and reflections for those who lost their notebooks.
But this posed another problem because now instead of having 150 small composition books, I had 150 varied types of notebooks causing me to change the way I had to grade the notebooks from collecting them--to walking around the classroom and grading them as they were working on another task. Help!!!   
My challenge is to incorporate required engineering notebook principles where students can still record data and draw their designs from the given labs into their notebooks, while at the same time providing them with a separate digital tool for their free writes. 
In the past I have used google classroom so that students could post their writing tasks into their classroom under the assignment link. This now posed another problem.  How do I grade each individual quick write along with all of their bigger projects and district writing tasks? https://classroom.google.com/u/1/h
I have decided to continue to use their engineering notebooks only for their data sheets and designs.  This way I can quickly flip through their notebooks to make sure they have the required data that will help them with their free writes.
I will also create a google document so that they can make a copy to put their daily journal free write entries in.  This not only makes me a techno-traditionalist by helping me to simplify the writing tasks, but is also helps me to become more efficient in my practices, with respect to grading and giving timely feedback.
 Using both google classroom to organize their writing tasks on a single document in a single location, is a techno-traditionalist approach because it puts traditional paper to pencil free- writes into an organized google document where feedback and updates can be done more efficiently. Turkle would say that this allows my students to start conversations that are of interest to them when they share their writings with each other, with the class, and with me. https://classroom.google.com/u/1/c/MjY1MjA4ODA1Nlpa

I also plan to create a blog where students can post their favorite ideas, designs and beliefs about their learning experience--and by Wesch’s contention, would put the learning back into the hands of the learner, and give me the opportunity to step back and let my students lead the way. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-JcBFAuLc-0dUVXRjQzRDVPRFE/view
Of course, I have no idea whether or not this modification of how I use google classroom, google documents, and engineering notebooks will solve my efficiency problems, or where these discussions will take us, but this is what it is like to be a techno-constructivists—accepting that technology will likely change the way in which we learn
.Good or bad it will be an interesting proposition to see how this will manifest in my classroom.  As Prensky’s points out, kids simply process information today differently than they did in other generations and It is our job as teachers to be cognizant of this so that we can decide how best to teach them in a way that is meaningful to them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRR76Mz9NII https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/0B6hTIkGSJOmAZUo4c2pRaTdfem8

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Madeline's Can Wesch and Turkle be friends?

Boyd verses Presky

Madeline's Pretty as a Princess blog